To Make a Reckless Driving Charge Stick, the Virginia Police Don't Necessarily Have to Catch You Out on the Road
In Virginia, most charges of reckless driving are leveled at motorists who traverse this state's thousands of miles of roads, avenues and highways. However, you may not be aware that you can be cited for reckless driving in a parking lot, in an abandoned cul-de-sac, or even in your own driveway—and if you find yourself in this situation, you'll have to contact an experienced Virginia traffic attorney.
If Your Behavior Poses a Danger to Others, You Can Be Arrested for Reckless Driving
What is the standard for being charged with reckless driving when you're not actually on a public street or highway? It all depends on the practices of the local police, but some examples could include the following:
- Weaving through the lanes of a crowded parking lot at high speed
- Backing out of a parking space at excessive speed, and without looking first in your rear-view mirror
- Pulling into an available parking space too aggressively, cutting off another driver (who may have been waiting for the space)
- Backing out of your driveway too fast, and without taking the proper precautions
- Driving at high speed in an empty lot (this is especially common with teenage drivers who have just received their learner's permits)
- Driving too aggressively in a school parking lot
- Driving on a highway or road that is not yet open to the public, or is still in the process of construction
Unless the arresting officer happens to be in a bad mood that day, most of the above actions will only be charged as reckless driving if your behavior puts yourself, or other pedestrians or motorists, in immediate danger. Otherwise, you may get off with a warning or a minimal “improper driving” citation.
Have You Been Arrested for Off-Road Reckless Driving? You Need an Experienced Attorney.
If you have been charged with reckless driving in the state of Virginia because of your behavior in a parking lot, school, or your own driveway, contact the attorneys at Jarrell, Hicks & Waldman, PC today for a free consultation at 888-783-9701.