Estate Planning Attorneys Serve Spotsylvania Families
Handling wills, trusts and probate for more than 70 years
It’s never too early or too late to create an estate plan. Whether you’re newlyweds or retirees, wise estate planning protects the assets you want to pass to your loved ones. At Jarrell, Hicks & Waldman, PC, our estate-planning attorneys set up wills and trusts, help administer estates and, when necessary, litigate probate disputes for clients throughout Caroline, Fauquier, Hanover, King George, Orange, Spotsylvania and Stafford counties.
Trustworthy partners throughout the estate planning process
Estate planning should be an ongoing process. Our attorneys periodically review your estate plan to determine whether modifications are needed. Proper planning can include advance medical directives, powers of attorney, revocable or irrevocable trusts and a last will and testament. Improper planning — or no planning — leads to the slow and complicated probate process as well as unnecessary estate taxes. Here are the most common tools we use in estate plans for clients in the Spotsylvania and Fredericksburg areas:
- Last will and testament — Your formal instructions for the distribution of your assets after your death
- Living will (also known as an advance healthcare directive) — Instructions to your physician on what life-sustaining treatment you do or don’t want if you’re incapacitated
- Durable power of attorney — Names someone to act as your attorney-in-fact to manage your assets if you are incapacitated
- Healthcare power of attorney — Names someone to make medical decisions for you when you are unable to do so
- Letter of instruction — Instructions to your family about funeral plans, obituary information and other wishes upon your death
We create and help administer your estate planning tools
The estate planning attorneys at Jarrell, Hicks & Waldman, PC help you determine whether your plan would benefit from a living trust, a healthcare proxy, a premarital agreement, a family limited partnership or even a pet trust. We work with you to define your objectives and then create a plan that achieves those goals. Our estate planning attorneys are experienced in assisting clients in the Spotsylvania and Fredericksburg areas with such issues as:
- Wills and trusts: To protect your heirs from unnecessary estate taxes and the drawn-out probate process, our attorneys create wills and trusts that will distribute your estate in keeping with your wishes.
- Probate: When your loved one’s will is probated in circuit court, our attorneys represent your interests. If the will is challenged, we are prepared to litigate on your behalf.
- Estate and trust administration: If you find yourself named the executor of an estate, you will quickly learn that the duties are overwhelming without the assistance of an experienced estate administration attorney in Spotsylvania.
Proper estate planning brings peace of mind
The estate planning attorneys at Jarrell, Hicks & Waldman, PC help you transfer your assets to the next generation. Call (540) 582-5300 to set a consultation, or contact us online for appointment scheduling. Our offices are in the historic Spotswood Inn. We serve clients in and around Fredericksburg, Thornburg, Spotsylvania, Corbin, Woodford, Hartwood, Partlow, Richardsville, Locust Grove, Brooke, Ladysmith, Stafford, Lignum, Goldvein, Rappahannock Academy, Garrisonville and Sumerduck.